Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 2, 2011

King's, On Writing

While reading Stephen King’s On Writing, I immediately related to the first few chapters where King describes his “childhood” attempts at writing. In one chapter, he describes a nail that starts to fall off the wall resulting from too many rejection slips hanging on the door; all throughout elementary school I tried week after week to get one of my short fiction stories posted in the school’s paper but failed week on end.

According to King, in order to be a successful writer, you must read a lot and write a lot. Why wasn’t I getting published in West Freehold’s newspaper then?! I read constantly; mostly Judy Blume…but read, nonetheless! I also loved to write and did so each day during school and night before bed. Perhaps my fiction stories filled with serial killers and bloody guts spewing out everywhere was a little too graphic for my fellow seven-year-olds. I guess I can thank my older sister persuading me to watch Scream and Terminator 2.
            
I should try and find those short fiction stories and submit them to King; who knows, they could be the next installment of It !

1 comment: